Try this list of ideas next time you’re planning a date night in Rochester and the surrounding area. And by date night we mean any amount of time you can carve out of your busy schedules to spend together–day or night!
Whether it’s your first date or 50th, spending time trying new activities with your partner is a great way to connect, learn more about each other, and avoid the routine rut.
We’ve broken these ideas into themes to help you find a topic you already love or want to try.
Take a hike
- 20 Monroe County Parks
- 11 National Natural Landmarks
- 49 New York State Parks within a 2-hour drive
- 77 hiking trails that are not just a walk in the park
- Explore these Gorge Trails
- Try Geo-caching.
- Explore a rock city.
Below the surface
- Search for fossils at Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve
- or Herkimer “Diamonds” at the Herkimer Diamond Mine or Ace of Diamonds Mine
- or the glowing calcite heart in Howe Caverns
Ride the rails
- Arcade & Attica Railroad
- Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
- New York Museum of Transportation
- Medina Railroad Museum & Train Rides
- or dine at a train-themed restaurant
Stop & smell the roses
- 40 Public Gardens & Arboretums
- Our favorite 5 gardens
- 33 Annual House & Garden Tours
- and Lamberton Conservatory all year long
Try some snow sports
- 10 Best Places to Rent Snowshoes
- 22 of the Best Sledding Hills
- The 15 Best Places for Downhill and Cross-Country Skiing
- 19 Outdoor and Indoor Ice Skating Rinks
Get your motor running
- Monster Trucks
- Go-Carts: Outside and Inside
- Watch a race at Watkins Glen International Speedway
- or Drive the Glen yourself!
- Lake Alice Mud Bogs
Zip & climb
- Central Rock Gym
- Aerial Adventures at Bristol Mountain
- Niagara Falls Adventure Park
- Canyon Climb at Destiny USA
- The Niagara Zipper in Lockport
Up, up & away
- Rochester Skydivers
- Western New York Skydivers
- Frontier Skydivers
- Finger Lakes Skydivers
- Skydive Central New York
- Rochester Helicopter Rides and Tours
- Rochester Helicopter Charters
- Buffalo Helicopter Charters
- BAC Helicopters
- Rainbow Air Helicopter Tours
- WNY Helicopter Tours
Watch the sun set (or rise!)
These suggestions link to Google image search results to give you an idea for each area. We’ll be writing an article soon to capture these and more! In the meantime, you can take a scientific approach using this calculation of the sun’s position at a given time, date and location. Try August 8 at 18:30 (sunset is 18:55) at Cobb’s Hill (43.1396542, -77.5723119) and you can see below why this is very popular place to watch the sunset!