There are several options when looking for ice skating rinks around Rochester, NY. It first depends on whether you own your own skates or need to rent. All indoor, plus a few outdoor rinks, have skate rentals available.
It also depends on your preference for indoor or outdoor rinks. Indoor rinks are consistently maintained and shielded from the weather, also making them great all year. Outdoor rinks are open to nature and the elements, both a blessing and a curse, and can be more free-form without all of the crowds. Indoor rinks have bars and bathrooms. Outdoor ice skating rinks tend to be free with typical park hours. Indoor rinks share ice with hockey, so public skate times may not work with your schedule.
Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks (rentals available)
- Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Park at Manhattan Square
- Town of Irondequoit
- Buffalo Canalside, plus curling and ice bike rentals!
Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks (bring your own skates)
- Highland Park at the Lily Pond on South Ave near School #12
- Churchville Park
- Ellison Park
- Veteran’s Memorial Park
- Akron Falls Park
- Como Lake Park
9 Places to
Indoor Ice Skating Rinks (rentals available)
- Rochester Ice Center (pka Thomas Creek Ice Center)
- Bill Gray’s Regional Iceplex, MCC
- Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena, RIT
- Lakeshore Hockey Arena
- Scottsville Ice Arena
- Genesee Valley Park Sports Complex
- Village Sports
- Webster Ice Arena
- Falleti Ice Arena
- Tuttle North Ice Arena, College at Brockport
A man learns to skate by staggering about and making a fool of himself. Indeed he progresses in all things by resolutely making a fool of himself.
― George Bernard Shaw