From mid-September to mid-October, you can pick your own apples from Upstate New York farms offering an amazing variety including Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Autumn Crisp, Twenty Ounce, CrimsonCrisp, Macoun, Empire, Red Delicious, Fuji, Golden Delicious, Jonamac, MacIntosh, Cortland, Gala, Ida Red, Granny Smith, and Cameo. Learn more about apple varieties from the New York Apple Association.
Many of our farms offer a fun argitourism experience, with hay rides, cider & donuts and activities for the kids. Here are a few places around Rochester you can pick your own apples.
Pick Your Own Apples along the Wayne County Apple Trail
- Long Acre Farms (Macedon)
- Morgan’s Farm Market (Marion)
- Orbaker’s Fruit Farm (Williamson)
- Burnap’s Farm Market (Sodus)
- The Apple Shed (Newark)
More Rochester-Area Apple Farms
- Green Acre Farms (Greece)
- Burch Farms (Hilton)
- Becker Farms (Albion)
- Hurd Orchards (Holley)
- Watt Farms (Albion)
- The Apple Farm (Victor)
- Schutt’s Apple Mill (Webster)
- Whittier Fruit Farm (North Chili)
- G & S Orchards (Walworth)
- Kelly’s Farm Market (Hilton)
- Wickham (Penfield)
- Ontario Orchards (Sterling)
- Lagoner Farms (Williamson)
- Robb Farms (Spencerport)
- Sodoma Farm (Brockport)
- Green Acre & West Wind Fruit Farms (Hilton)
- Kirby’s Farm Market (Brockport)
AppleUmpkin Festival (Wyoming, NY)
Tips for when you pick your own apples
Thank you to pickyourown.org for these helpful tips!
- Once picked, don’t throw the apples into the baskets, place them in gently, or they will bruise and go bad more quickly.
- Keep apples cool after picking to increase shelf life. A cool basement is ideal, but the fruit/vegetable drawer of a refrigerator will work, too. Kept cool, fresh-picked apples will generally keep weeks, but it DOES depend on the variety.
- Nutrition and miscellaneous facts: One-half cup of apples is only 42 calories. Apples contain no cholesterol or fat and are also low in calories. T Apples are high in dietary fiber, Vitamin A and niacin. They contain iron and other trace minerals and are a fair source of Vitamin C.
- Apples are ranked No. 1 in antioxidant activity compared with 40 other commercially available fruits and vegetables. That means a serving of apples has more of the antioxidant power you need to fight aging, cancer and heart disease.
Photos in this post by Pixabay
Where are your favorite spots to pick apples?
Share with us in the comments. Your insight and experience is invaluable!