My family has been picking grapes nearly every year for 20 years at Jerome’s U-Pick Grapes.
When to go
Most folks would probably tie in some grape picking with a trip to the Naples Fest, usually the last weekend in September. To avoid the crowds, I recommend going the weekend after the festival.
From their website: “All of our 20 varieties are available for “you-picking”, depending only on ripeness and availability. Keep in mind, not all varieties ripen at the same time. The season usually begins shortly after Labor Day and continues until the later part of October or until the harvest is complete.”
So many varieties of grapes!
You’ll be picking from dozens of varieties, including Concord and Niagara. Jerome’s U-Pick provides wagons, boxes and sheers on a first-come basis, so it’s advisable to bring a pair of scissors just in case.
More information about Jerome’s U-Pick Grapes
- Cost: 2015 season, grapes $.40/pound
- Located in Naples, roughly 1 hour / 45 miles from Rochester (get directions)
- More information: jeromesupick.com or call 1-800-UPICKIT
Pick-Your-Own Seasons (most active)
- Strawberries—June 5 – June 20
- Cherries—July 1 – July 31
- Raspberries —Early: July 5 – July 21; Fall & Everbearing: August 15 – September 30
- Peaches, Nectarines—July 20 – September 1
- Blueberries—August 1 – September 10
- Grapes—September 1 – September 30
- Apples—September 1 – October 15
- Pumpkins—September 15 – October 31